RDT spotlights work by its most prolific alumni choreographer, William "Bill" Evans, a magnetic dance-maker known for his versatility and style. TOP BILL features an eclectic range of music from Vivaldi to the 3hattrio plus a tribute to the "King of Swing" Mr. Benny Goodman. East Indian, tap, and electronic rhythms will make this enteretaining and nostalgic evening of dance unforgettable.
For betty - (1970)
Choreographed for Dr. Elizabeth Hayes, former Chair of the Modern Dance Department at the University of Utah. The movement explores the elements of space as dancers carve through the geometry of an unseen world and bring life to an area and everything within it. The abstract movement becomes a pathway to accentuate human relationships that develop and give texture and meaning to the space.
suite benny (1987)
A ballet suite for four men and six women honoring the "King of Swing," Mr. Benny Goodman.
crippled up blues - (2015)
Crippled Up Blues, pairs RDT alum William (Bill) Evans and Emmy Award-winning musician/folklorist Hal Cannon. Originally premiering on RDT's 50th anniversary season, this piece features “desert music” created by The 3hattrio which acknowledges the cultural traditions of generations who have worked and lived in the deserts of the American southwest. As a native Utahn, Evans brings his artistic sensibility and love for the region into focus around stories of the unique places and people who live here.
alternating current (1982)
A dramatic and lyrical duet.
Tap Solo by William "Bill" Evans
About The choreographer
Bill Evans is a performer, teacher, choreographer, lecturer, administrator, movement analyst, writer, adjudicator and dance advocate with a uniquely varied and comprehensive background of experiences and accomplishments. Bill is:
- Full-time Professor and Dance Artist in Residence, Palladino School of Dance, Dean College, Franklin, Massachusetts
- Emeritus Visiting Professor/Guest Artist in the Department of Dance at The College at Brockport, State University of New York
- Permanent Guest Artist in the Senior Professional Program of the School of Contemporary Dancers, Winnipeg , Manitoba , Canada .
- Artistic and Executive Director of the Bill Evans Dance Company (founded in 1975), the Bill Evans Summer Institute of Dance (founded in 1977) and the Bill Evans Rhythm Tap Ensemble (founded in 1992).
- Creator of the Evans Modern Dance Technique and director of the Evans Modern Dance Technique Teaching Certification Program (founded in 2003).
Professor Evans maintains an active career as a freelance choreographer, solo performer, master teacher, adjudicator and consultant and has appeared in all 50 states as well as throughout Canada and Mexico and in many other countries, including Australia, England, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway and Russia.
October 28 at Sugar Space. Evans teams up with Debby Robertson for a day-long tap experience. Learn more>>
prime movement class
A special master class with William "Bill" Evans as part of RDT's Dance Center on Broadway. Learn more here>>
TOP BILL will be performed for close to 1000 students in free matinee performances. COMING SOON