Submissions must include:
- Full name, mailing address, and email contact – choreographers must currently live in Utah and must be present in Salt Lake City on February 4, 2023.
- Links to samples of previous work on YouTube, Vimeo, etc. RDT will not view more than 5 mins total for any applicant. Can be uploaded as individual links OR on a PDF document with links included. Please be sure to include any passwords or security answers for locked/private videos.
- Current resume
- Short written proposal, no more than 200 words, that includes:
- your current choreographic interests (dramatic, satire, abstract, humor, political, environmental, etc.)
- stylistic preferences, (traditional, contemporary, jazz, etc.)
- your choreographic process.
Each submission will be reviewed by Repertory Dance Theatre with four submissions being selected to compete in the Regalia event on February 4, 2023. Questions regarding submissions can be directed to Nicholas Cendese at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcement of 4 selected submissions will be made Friday, December 16, 2022.
The four selected competitors will be expected to attend the Regalia event on Saturday, February 4th, 2023 at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center from approx. 2:00 pm to 9:30 pm. Each choreographer will work with 6-8 dancers during 4 hours of rehearsal time to create a 5-7-minute minute piece. The audience will vote for their favorite and the winner of the competition will be awarded a new commission with Repertory Dance Theatre during its 2023-2024 season.
NEW for 2023 – guest choreographers and guest dancers will be invited to stay and enjoy the Regalia party after the show; however, RDT will NOT be announcing the winner of the competition on February 4th, 2023. Digital performances will be edited and released online allowing each choreographer the opportunity to promote and gather more support for their work with the winner of the competition being announced a week after the live event on February 11, 2023.
The winner of the Regalia competition will:
- Be awarded a commission of $3,000 during the 2023-2024 season to create new choreography 8-10- mins in length featuring 6-8 dancers.
- Choreographic/rehearsal time with RDT will not exceed 5 working days, 4 hours a day. Preferred rehearsal times: mid-August 2023 or mid-October 2023.
- Premiere of the work will occur sometime during RDT’s 2023-2024 season.
Travel, per diem, housing, and transportation costs will NOT be covered by RDT.